Recipe - Jalapeno Cheddar Summer Sausage
- PS Seasoning Chef
For 25 Lb. Meat Batch
|15 Lbs.||Lean Beef Trims|
|10 Lbs.||Regular Pork Trims|
|2-3 Cups||Distilled Water|
|1 Bundle||2½ x 20 Mahogany Casings|
|1 Pkg.||No. 391 Jalapeno Summer Sausage Seasoning, B Unit|
|1 Lb.||High-Temp Cheddar Cheese|
Instructions:1) Grind all meat through ⅜" plate or larger. Regrind through ⅛" plate.
2) Add entire contents of Maple Cure (included with seasoning packet) to water; mix into meat.
3) Add seasoning and high temp cheese into meat and mix for 4-6 minutes until meat is tacky.
4) Stuff into fibrous casings.
Smoking Instructions:1) Preheat Smoker to 100˚F.
2) Place sausage on smoke sticks.
3) Insert temperature probe to center of one sausage.
4) Open dampers all the way. Run at 100˚F for one hour.
5) After an hour, increase temperature to 110˚F; add ⅔ pan moistened sawdust; smoke for 4 hours with top damper ⅛ open and bottom damper ¾ open.
6) Add another ⅔ pan of moistened sawdust, increase heat to 165˚F. Heat until internal temperature reaches 152˚F.
7) Turn OFF smoker; place sausage in cold water bath for 20 minutes; to cool sausage to 100˚F. Then dry and place in cooler.
Overnight Smoking Instructions:1) Preheat Smoker to 100˚F.
2) Place sausage on smoke sticks. Insert temperature probe to center of one sausage.
3) Dry for 1 hour.
4) After an hour, place ⅔ pan of moistened sawdust on burner. Run all night at 100˚F.
5) The next morning, place another ⅔ pan of moistened sawdust on burner.
6) Set temperature to 170˚F, cook until internal temperature reaches 152˚F.
7) Turn OFF smoker; place sausage in cold water bath for 20 minutes; to cool sausage to 110˚F. Then dry and place in cooler.
Oven Smoking Instructions:
*You can even cook your summer sausage in the oven. It may not have the same heavy color as it would be if the sausage were placed in a smokehouse, but the flavor will be excellent.1) Line the bottom of your oven with foil to catch the drippings.
2) Lay your product on the oven screens and cook at the lowest heat possible for the 1st hour. Leave the door open slightly if necessary.
3) Bake at 180˚-200˚F until product reaches an internal temperature of 152˚F.
4) After cooking, place sausage in refrigerator or freezer.
Note: Add liquid smoke to your meat grind prior to stuffing to achieve a genuine smoked sausage flavor when cooking in oven.