Classic New Orleans fare, this Cajun seafood sandwich is loaded up with crispy buttermilk fried shrimp, spicy remoulade sauce, lettuce and tomatoes on top of a fluffy hoagie roll. Give it an extra kick with one of our Secret Sauces (we recommend the Cajun Mary or Honky Tonk Hot Sauce).
Shrimp Po' Boy
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|1 lb.||Shrimp, peeled & deveined|
|1/4 cup||Hot Sauce|
|2 T||Bad Juju Cajun Blend|
|Vegetable Oil, for frying|
|4||Hero or Hoagie Rolls, toasted|
|4||Vine-ripened Tomatoes, sliced|
|Honky Tonk Hot Sauce or Cajun Mary Sauce|
|Lemon Wedges for serving (optional)|
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp in the buttermilk with 2 tablespoons of hot sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, and Bad Juju. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining hot sauce with the mayonnaise. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 inches of oil to 350 F. Set a wire rack in a sheet tray and line with paper towels.
- Remove the shrimp from the buttermilk, then toss in flour mixture.
- Working in batches, fry the shrimp for 1 minute, until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon or spider, transfer the shrimp to the paper towel-lined tray. Season with additional Bad Juju, then repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Assemble Po’ Boys: Spread sauce on roll, then top with lettuce, tomato, battered shrimp, and chopped pickle. Drizzle with Honky Tonk hot sauce or Cajun Mary Sauce. Serve warm with fresh lemon wedges.