Tender smoky chicken is the perfect pairing for our sweet and smoky Bourbon Barrel Whiskey BBQ Sauce. Before smoking your chicken, make sure your bird is full thawed, and spatchcock to cut your smoking time down. This BBQ pulled chicken can be tossed with sauce right after pulling or stacked high on a bun and drizzled in the sauce to ensure the smokiness of the chicken shines through.
Bourbon Smoked Pulled Chicken
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2.5 hours
|Whole Chicken (about 4 lbs.)|
|1 T||Olive Oil|
|Rodeo Brisket Rub|
|1 cup||Bourbon Barrel BBQ Sauce|
|Sandwich Buns (optional)|
- Spatchcock the chicken: Set the chicken breast side down on a sheet tray or cutting board. Remove the backbone with a sharp kitchen scissors. Turn the chicken over to the breast side. Cut a small incision in the breast bone, flip over, and press down on the breast so that the chicken is flat.
- Blot the chicken with a paper towel, then drizzle with olive oil. Season the chicken all over with Texas Rodeo, including underneath the skin.
- Preheat the grill to 225° F.
- Transfer the chicken to the grill and smoke for 2 to 2 ½ hours, until the internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Remove the chicken from the grill, and rest for 15 minutes.
- Section the chicken into leg, thigh, and breast, then remove the skin, and pull the chicken.
Place pulled chicken in a mixing bowl, then toss with Bourbon Barrel Sauce. Serve warm for a sandwich, or chilled on a salad.