A homemade cheeseburger with melted cheddar jack cheese, bacon, our Bourbon Barrel Whiskey BBQ sauce, and a tall stack or homemade haystack onion rings. This recipe starts with thinly sliced onion rings, dipped in a buttermilk batter and fried until crispy and golden. The burger is a boost from hickory and maple, then seared and topped with gooey cheddar jack cheese. Top it all off with BBQ sauce and bacon (and a side of bourbon) and you'll definitely be in good spirits.
Bourbon Barrel Burger with Haystack Onion Rings
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|TT||Lumberjack Hickory Maple|
|Cheddar Jack Cheese Slices|
|8||Bacon Slices, cooked|
|1 cup||Bourbon Barrel BBQ Sauce|
|2||Yellow Onions, sliced thinly|
|1 1/2 T||Lumberjack Hickory Maple|
|Vegetable Oil, for frying|
- Prepare the onion rings: Separate the onion slices and place them in a glass baking dish and pour the buttermilk over the top. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it down on the onion rings to completely submerge them. Allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, Lumberjack and cayenne, then set aside.
- Pour 1 quart of canola oil in a pot or Dutch oven, then heat to 375 F.
- Using tongs, remove half of onions from the buttermilk and dredge into the flour mixture. Shake off the excess flour, then transfer to the hot oil.
- Fry onion rings for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown, then remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel lined sheet tray.
- Bring the oil back to temperature, then repeat the process with remaining onions.
- Preheat the grill to 425 F. Place ground beef in a mixing bowl, and season with LumberJack. Form 4 - ½ # patties by hand and gently press down in the middle of the patty.
- Grill each patty to desired doneness. Top each patty with 2 slices of cheese and 2 slices of bacon, then cover the grill to melt the cheese.
- Transfer bacon cheeseburgers to a bun and top with Bourbon Barrel sauce and haystack onion rings. Serve warm.