Recipe Courtesy of Misty Banchero (@SeattleButchersWife)
Are you into legs? I didn’t think I was until I started making chicken lollipops. I figured why not give a Turkey leg a whirl in the smoker. Brined in pickle juice, citrus & herbs overnight, seasoned and set on the grill till done then I brushed sauce on a couple of times. Would you grab this thing by the bone & tear into it?
Holiday Smoked Turkey Legs
Prep time: 24 hours
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
|TT||Fly the Coop Poultry Blend|
|TT||Bee Sting Hot Honey Chipotle|
- Combine 3 cups water with 1 cup leftover pickle juice to create a brine. (You can also add herbs/citrus to your liking) Brine the turkey legs for 24 hours in the refrigerator. I use a Cambro airtight container.
- Remove the turkey legs from the refrigerator and take the legs out of the brine. Pat them down to dry them off. Season them generously with Fly the Coop seasoning.
- Preheat your grill to 225 degrees F. Place your turkey legs directly on the smoker. Close the lid and smoke the turkey legs.
- Add a cup of Hot Honey Bee Sting sauce to 1 Tbsp honey to make a glaze. When the legs hit an internal temp of 150 degrees, glaze the legs using a silicone brush. Repeat that step, allowing the glaze to set.
- Total cook time is around an hour and a half until the internal temperature of the legs reaches 175-180 degrees.