When the weather gets cold it's time to come home to a homemade stew to warm you up! This brisket stew is a go to and easy crock pot dinner with a smoked brisket.
- 2 ½ LB – Brisket Flat
¼ C – BBQ General SPG Rub
- 2 – Onions
- 3 Stalk – Celery
- 2 large – Carrots
2 T – Cooking Oil
1 C – Red Wine
- 1 Quart – Beef Broth
- 4 Sprig – Thyme, Fresh
- 1 ½ LB – Potatoes, mini
2 T – Butter
2 T - Flour
- Preheat smoker to 225 degrees.
- Season the brisket generously with BBQ General SPG rub and let it rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Place the brisket directly on the smoker. Smoke for roughly 3 hours until the internal temp of the brisket reaches 165 degrees.
- Chop all your vegetables into a medium dice.
- In a large dutch oven, saute the vegetables over medium high heat in the cooking oil.
- Cut the brisket into 1” cubes and add to the pan.
- Once the vegetables are translucent, deglaze with the red wine for 2 minutes.
- Add beef broth and thyme. Bring the stew to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes. Cover and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove all the solids from the stew.
- Bring the remaining liquid to a simmer.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and then stir in the flour. Microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Add the roux to the simmering liquid and stir to thicken.
- Once thick, add the solids back to the stew.
- Season if necessary.