Remember the bologna sandwich from your childhood sack lunch? This is not that sandwich. We scored, seasoned and smoked a whole bologna chub, then sliced it thick and piled it on Texas toast with a pickled jalapeno slaw and roasted poblano sauce.
Smoked Bologna Sandwich
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|Smoked Bologna Chub|
|2 T||Vegetable Oil|
|12 slices||Texas-style Bread|
|1/2 cup||Butter, softened|
|1 1/2 T||Texas Rodeo Rub|
|3 T||Vegetable Oil|
|1 1/2 T||White Vinegar|
|1/2 tsp||Kosher Salt|
|3 cups||Green Cabbage, shredded|
|1 cup||Tomatillos, chopped|
|1/4 cup||Pickled Jalapeños, minced|
|2 T||Cilantro, chopped|
|Roasted Poblano Sauce|
|1||Poblano Pepper, roasted & chopped|
|3 T||Sour Cream|
|TT||Salt & Pepper|
- Heat the oil a large, cast iron skillet over medium heat. In batches, sear the bologna for 1 minute per side, to warm and crisp along the edges. Set aside on a wire rack placed over a sheet tray.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the softened butter with TX Rodeo Rub. Brush on Texas-style bread, then lightly toast in the warm skillet or oven. Set aside.
- Prepare the slaw: in a mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lime juice, and salt. Then add the shredded cabbage, tomatillo, pickled jalapeño, and cilantro. Toss to coat, then set aside.
- Prepare the sauce: in a food processor, combine the poblano pepper, mayonnaise, sour cream, and lime juice. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Sandwich assembly: Lay out 6 slices of Texas toast, then spread poblano sauce over each slice. Top with 2-3 bologna slices (depending on thickness), then divide slaw over the bologna, and top with remaining 6 slices of Texas toast. Slice on the bias and serve.