This isn't your childhood bologna. We scored a whole deli chub, slathered it in yellow mustard and a generous dusting of our Texas-style Rodeo Rub, then smoked it low and slow until crisp, smoky and golden. Use your own homemade bologna, or ask your local butcher or deli counter for a whole chub. We like this sliced thick on a sandwich, or cubed and served with toothpicks for an easy party app.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
|Bologna Chub (about 4 lbs.)|
|1 T||Yellow Mustard|
|3 T||Texas Rodeo Rub|
- Preheat grill or smoker to 250° F.
- Score bologna in a cross hatch pattern on all sides, about 1/8" thick.
- Using a basting brush or clean paint brush, coat entire chub in a layer of yellow mustard. This will act as a binder to adhere the seasoning to the outside of the meat.
- Season chub generously in Texas Rodeo Rub. Gently press down to adhere seasoning, opening slits to get seasoning into cuts.
- Using a tongs, gently transfer bologna to grill or smoker and smoke for 2 1/2-3 hours. As the bologna cooks, the outer layer of the cross hatch will render down and open up, allowing the seasoning to drip into the crevices. Optional: brush with your favorite BBQ sauce in the last 20 - 30 minutes of smoking.
- Remove from smoker and let cool for 15 minutes. Slice into thick 1/2"-1" thick slices for a sandwich or cube it and serve with toothpicks for an easy snack or appetizer.