All great Oktoberfest recipes start with pork and beer. These roasted pork shanks tick all the boxes and make for a pretty epic feast at your backyard biergarten. The shanks are made the traditional way: boiled in a caraway seed infused stock then scored, seasoned in our honey ale rub, and roasted until skin is crisp.
Roasted Pork Shanks
Prep time: 1 hours
Cook time: 2 hours
|Pork Shank, hind|
|2 T||Caraway Seeds|
|6||Garlic Cloves, shamshed|
|2 T||Kosher Salt|
|1 T||Black Peppercorns|
|2 T||Olive Oil|
|1/2 cup||Cock-a-Doodle Brew Rub|
|12 oz.||Oktoberfest Beer|
|1 cup||Chicken Stock|
|2||Yellow Onions, sliced|
- In a large pot, add water, caraway, garlic, salt, peppercorns, and bay leaves. Add the pork shanks, making sure they are submerged. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- After 1 hour, remove the pork shanks and allow to cool to room temperature. Cut horizontal slits in the rind, ½ inch apart. Rub with olive oil, then season with Cock-A-Doodle Brew.
- Preheat the oven or grill to 375 F.
- Add beer, stock, onion, and thyme to a Dutch oven, or deep skillet. Set seasoned pork shanks on top, then roast for 1 ½ hours, basting at the 30 and 60 minute marks.
- Increase the temperature to 425 F, and roast and additional 25 to 35 minutes to crisp the skin.
Remove from the oven, and serve warm with beer braised onions.