A Hawaiian staple, Huli Huli chicken takes its name from the Hawaiian word for "turn" because while roasting, the chicken is turned back and forth several times, similar to a rotisserie. The chicken is traditionally marinated in a tangy teriyaki sauce that gets its sweetness from pineapple juice. Our Big Kahuna Pineapple Teriyaki was inspired by this dish, which is sweet smoky and irresistible.
Huli Huli Chicken
Prep time: 8-12 hours
Cook time: 60 minutes
1 1/2 cup
|Big Kahuna Pineapple Teriyaki|
- Halve the chicken: remove backbone from the chicken, then use a knife to split the chicken down the middle of the breast bone.
- Place the chicken halves in a glass baking dish, and pour 1 cup of Big Kahuna over the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the grill to 425° F.
- Transfer the chicken directly to the grill grate, over indirect heat. Grill for 40 to 50 minutes, rotating/flipping chicken every 10 minutes. Baste with remaining ½ cup of Big Kahuna during the last 10 minutes.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes, then carve into smaller portions and serve warm.