El Jefe Flautas
Shredded Chicken Flautas
These shredded chicken flautas will have your taste buds singing with every bite! Seasoned with out El Jefe Honey Adobo taco rub these will definitely be a show stopper dinner.
- 2 LB – Chicken Thighs, Boneless Skinless
3 T – El Jefe - Adobo Honey Taco Seasoning & Rub
½ C – El Jefe Taco Sauce
½ C – Chihuahua Cheese, shredded
¼ C – Cilantro, chopped
- 12 – Corn Tortillas
¾ C – Canola Oil
½ C – Sour Cream
2 T – Lime Juice
- ½ Head – Red Cabbage, shredded
- 4 Clove – Garlic, smashed
1 t – Coriander
1 T – Peppercorns
- 2 – Guajillo Peppers, dried
1 C – Apple Cider Vinegar
1 C – Water
2 T – Salt
1 T – Sugar
- 4 – Roma Tomatoes
- 8 – Tomatillos (shucked and rinsed)
- ½ - Red Onion
- 2 – Jalapenos
- 4 Clove – Garlic
2 T – El Dinero
2 t – Olive Oil
- ½ Bunch – Parsley
- 1 oz – Lime Juice
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Make the salsa and pickled cabbage a day ahead.
- To make the pickled cabbage, start by stuffing the cabbage into a large mason jar along with the coriander and peppercorns. Smash the garlic and add to the jar.
- In a saucepot, combine the vinegar, water, salt and sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the Guajillo chiles and then place over medium heat and brin to a boil.
- Remove the chiles and cut off the stems. Empty out as much of the seeds as possible and then add the chiles to the mason jar.
- Pour the liquid into the mason jar. Allow to cool slightly before sealing the lid.
- Place in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Make the salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roughly chop the onion.
- Cut the stems off of the jalapenos and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds.
- Remove the core from the tomatoes and cut in ½.
- Cut the tomatillos in ½
- Add the tomatillos, roma tomatoes, onion, garlic cloves and seeded jalapenos to a large bowl. Toss together with the olive oil and El Dinero seasoning.
- Spread these ingredients on a sheet tray and roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before placing all the roasted vegetables in a blender along with the cilantro and lime juice.
- Blend until smooth. (Be careful as blending hot items could create pressure in the blender and cause it to explode. Leave the lid vented while blending to avoid this)
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- The following day….
- Make the lime crema by combining the sour cream and 2 TB of lime juice in a small bowl. Mix until smooth
- Trim the chicken thighs if needed. Season generously with El Jefe rub.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and sear the chicken on both sides. Flipping occasionally until an internal temperature of 165 is reached.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and chop. Then return it to the pan and add El Jefe sauce. Bring back to 165 degrees, then remove from the heat.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave to help avoid breakage when rolling.
- Add 3 TB of chicken to a tortilla and then roll tightly.
- Heat ¾ cup oil in a large skillet to 300 degrees, over medium heat.
- Pan fry the floutas, starting with the seam side down. Fry for about 2 minutes each side or until the shells crisp up.
- Serve the floutas topped with pickled cabbage, roasted tomatillo salsa, lime crema shredded cheese and a pinch of cilantro.