Venison often gets a bad wrap for it's potential to be dry, but a secret ingredient in this recipe helps retain moisture in these Smoked Venison Short Ribs. Venison short ribs may be smaller than your traditional rib, but what they lack in size they make up for in flavor. To prevent the ribs from drying out on the smoker we brushed them in a generous coating of mayonnaise, which works as a binder and also adds fat that will help retain moisture during smoking. If you like your ribs more tender with less bite, finish them off in a beef stock braise.
Smoked Venison Short Ribs
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 90-120 minutes
|2 lbs.||Venison Short Ribs|
|Wild Game Hunter's Blend|
|1 cup||Beef Stock|
- Place short ribs on a sheet tray, then remove the membrane.
- Season mayonnaise with Wild Game, brush over the ribs, then season with additional Wild Game.
- Preheat the grill to 225 F.
- Transfer the ribs to the upper grill rack and smoke for 75 to 90 minutes, until the meat is tender, and has pulled away from the bones.
- Remove ribs from the grill, rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve warm.
- Optional: for fall off the bone-tender, transfer sliced ribs to an 8x8 glass baking dish, with beef stock. Cover with foil and braise in a 300 F oven for 30 to 60 minutes.