Smoked Tri Tip Sandwich
The best Tri Tip sandwich you'll ever taste, seasoned with our BBQ General SPG rub, smoked, and topped with horseradish mayo, pickled red onion, and melted provolone cheese. You'll eat every bite.
- 3 LB – Tritip
½ C – BBQ General SPG Rub
2 C – Arugula
- 8 Slice – Provolone Cheese
- 1 – Baguette, cut into 4 sandwich sized pieces
1 C – Mayo
3 T – Horseradish
1 T – Black Pepper, cracked
1 t – Lemon Juice
- 1 – Red Onion, Julienned
- 2 Clove – Garlic
- ½ - Jalapeno, Julienned
2 t – Peppercorns
½ C – White Vinegar
½ C – Water
1 t – Kosher Salt
2 t – Sugar
Pickled Red Onion
- Make the pickled red onion the day before. Place the julienned red onion, garlic, jalapeno and peppercorns in a mason jar
- Combine the vinegar, water, salt and sugar for the brine in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Once the sugar and salt have dissolved, pour the liquid into the mason jar until full
- Place on the lid and set in the fridge for 24 hours before use
Day of Preparation
- Preheat smoker/grill to 225 degrees.
- Trim the tritip as needed to eliminate any silver skin or excess fat.
- Season the tritip generously with BBQ General SPG rub and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Place the meat on the smoker and cook for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until the internal temperature reaches 125 degrees.
- While the meat is smoking, make the horseradish sauce by combining the mayo, horseradish, lemon juice and black pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Increase the heat of the grill to 400 degrees.
- Sear the tritip for 2 minutes on all sides.
- You can slice immediately and build the sandwiches
- Cut the baguette in ½ and toast it if desired.
- Spread the horseradish mayo on the top and bottom.
- Place arugula on the bottom piece followed by the sliced tritip.
- Top the tritip with the provolone cheese and melt with a troch.
- Top with pickled red onion. Spread more horseradish mayo on the top piece of baguette and then place it on top of the sandwich to finish.