Garlic Pepper Spatchcock Chicken
Prep time: 8-24 hours
Cook time: 50 minutes
|1||Chicken, whole (4-5 lbs.)|
|2 T||Black Gold Garlic Pepper|
|1/2 T||Thyme, fresh|
|1 1/2 T||Olive Oil|
- Rinse chicken thoroughly under cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Using kitchen or poultry shears, cut along one side of the chicken spine, separating it from the ribs. Continue to cut 3/4 along the spine on one side, repeat on the other side of the spine. Grip the spine and continue cutting on both sides to remove it completely. Reserve the spine for stock, if desired.
- Flip the chicken breast-side up and press along the breastbone with some force to flatten the chicken completely (you may hear a crack). The legs and breasts should lay completely flat.
- Place the chicken on a large sheet tray and brush all sides with olive oil. Season the chicken evenly with Black Gold, thyme and lemon zest then refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and allow to sit out at room temperature for an hour before roasting. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Transfer the chicken, breast side up, onto a wire rack set within a half sheet pan. Tuck the wings under the breasts. Roast for 45 to 50 minutes or until the thickest part of the breast reads 155-160°F. Allow the chicken to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.