Start your day with a bakery-style breakfast sandwich made entirely from scratch. This crunchy and savory sandwich starts with homemade bagels sprinkled with our Open Sesame Everything Bagel blend, layered up with cream cheese, prosciutto, arugula, avocado and a runny fried egg. (Note: If you're not the baking type, you can use store-bought bagels.)
Everything Bagel Breakfast Sandwich
Prep time: 75 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
|120 ml||Warm Water, divided|
|3 g||Yeast, active dry|
|9.5 g||Sugar, granulated|
|3 g||Kosher Salt|
|1/2 tsp||Olive Oil|
|Water, for boiling|
|TT||Open Sesame Everything Bagel|
|1/4 cup||Cream Cheese|
|1||Avocado, sliced thinly|
Instructions:Prepare the bagels (skip if using premade):
- Pour 60 ml of warm water in a glass measuring cup. Add yeast and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes, undisturbed, then stir the mixture until dissolved.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 220 g flour and salt. Form a well in the middle, then stir in yeast mixture. Add remaining water.
- Dust a smooth work surface with remaining flour, then turn out the dough. Knead the dough by hand for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Oil another bowl, add dough, then turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, then proof in a warm area for 1 hour, until the dough doubles in size. Punch down dough, then rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces, then shape each into a small dough round. Rest dough for 5 minutes.
- Press your thumb into the center of each dough round, then gently stretch out to form a 1 to 1 ½ inch hole in the middle. Transfer to a sheet tray, cover, and rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Use a slotted spoon or mesh skimmer to lower bagels into the water. Boil 2 at a time, 1 minute per side.
- Remove bagels from the water, place on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Season with Open Sesame, then bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before enjoying.
- Slice the bagels in half, horizontally. Toast, if desired. Spread cream cheese on the bottom half of each bagel, then top with arugula.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with butter, then fry eggs over-medium. Transfer 1 egg on top of arugula, then top with prosciutto, another egg, and avocado. Season with additional Open Sesame, if desired. Place the seasoned half of the bagel on top. Serve warm.