El Jefe Birria Balls
You won't be able to eat just one of these El Jefe Birria Balls. Homemade Birria meat, rice, and cheese stuffed into a ball and fried to a crispy brown!
- 3 LB – Chuck Roast
¼ C – El Jefe Adobo Honey Taco Seasoning
- 5 – Ancho Chiles
- 3 – Guajillo Chiles
- 2 – Chiles de Arbol
- 1 – Onion, rough chop
- 6 Cloves – Garlic
2 – Water
¾ C – El Jefe Taco Sauce
2 C – Beef Stock
¾ C – Chihuahua Cheese, shredded
1 C – Flour
3 – Eggs
-Separate the yolks and whites. Set aside
2 C - Breadcrumbs
1 ½ C – White rice
3 C – water
- ½ packet – Sazon
- Toast the chiles in a sauté pan, over medium heat. No oil.
- Once the chilis are lightly toasted, place in a sauce pot with chopped onions and garlic. Top with water and bring to a boil.
- Once a boil is reached, cover and allow to steep for 15-20 minutes.
- Generously season the chuck roast with El Jefe Taco Seasoning and sear off.
- Place in the pressure cooker.
- Once the chilis have softened, place them in a blender with the onions and garlic. Cover with the steeping water and blend until smooth.
- Strain the puree directly into the pressure cooker.
- Add ¾ Cup El Jefe Taco sauce and add beef stock until the meat is just covered.
- Pressure cook for 1 hour and allow to naturally release pressure for 20 minutes. Then quick release.
- Remove the meat from the liquid and shred. Return the meat to the liquid. This is now the consome for the dish.
- While the meat is cooking, make the Spanish rice by combining the rice, water and sazon in a sauce pot. Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Spread the rice out on a tray and place in the fridge to fully cool.
- Remove 1 ½ Cups of meat from the comsome and place in a bowl.
- Combine the meat with the cooked rice and the chihuahua cheese. Add the egg yolks and season with El Jefe rub if needed.
- Portion the rice mixture into 2 oz balls.
- Set up a breading station with flour in one bowl, beaten egg whites in another, and finally the breadcrumbs.
- For the rice balls into evenly shaped balls and then bread them. First roll in the flour. Then into the egg whites. Then fully bread them in the crumbs.
- Fry the balls in oil at 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes. The balls should be heated through and golden brown on the outside.
- Serve with a side of the consome for dipping.