El Jefe Birria Sandwich
You'll never make a more perfect sandwich. Perfectly juicy homemade birria, and a consome so good you could practically drink it! It's so good that you just might!
3 LB– Chuck Roast
¼ C – El Jefe Taco Honey Adobo Seasoning
- 5 – Ancho Chiles
- 3 – Guajillo Chiles
- 2 – Chiles de Arbol
- 1 – Onion, rough chop
- 6 Cloves – Garlic
2 C – Water
¾ C – El Jefe Taco Sauce
2 C – Beef Stock
1 C – Arugula
1 C – Chihuahua Cheese, shredded
- 1 – Baguette for sandwich
- 1 – Red Onion, Julienned
- 2 Clove – Garlic
- ½ - Jalapeno, Julienned
2 t – Peppercorns
½ C – White Vinegar
½ C – Water
1 t – Kosher Salt
2 t – Sugar
- ½ Bunch – Cilantro, chopped
1 C – Mayo
- 1 – Shallot, minced
Pickled Red Onion
Cilantro Shallot Mayo
- Place the julienned red onion, garlic, jalapeno and peppercorns in a mason jar.
- Combine the vinegar, water, salt and sugar for the brine in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Once the sugar and salt have dissolved, pour the liquid into the mason jar until full.
- Place on the lid and set in the fridge for 24 hours before use.
- Toast the chiles in a sauté pan, over medium heat. No oil.
- Once the chilis are lightly toasted, place in a sauce pot with chopped onions and garlic. Top with water and bring to a boil.
- Once a boil is reached, cover and allow to steep for 15-20 minutes.
- Generously season the chuck roast with El Jefe Taco Seasoning and sear off.
- Place in the pressure cooker.
- Once the chilis have softened, place them in a blender with the onions and garlic. Cover with the steeping water and blend until smooth.
- Strain the puree directly into the pressure cooker.
- Add ¾ Cup El Jefe Taco sauce and add beef stock until the meat is just covered.
- Pressure cook for 1 hour and allow to naturally release pressure for 20 minutes. Then quick release.
- Remove the meat from the liquid and shred. Return the meat to the liquid. This is now the consome for the dish.
- Combine the 3 ingredients for the cilantro mayo and stir well.
- Cut and toast the baguette as desired.
- Spread the cilantro mayo on both 1/2s of the bread.
- Place arugula on the bottom bun followed by some shredded meat.
- Top the meat with cheese and use a torch to melt. (you could also use the broiler for about 30 seconds)
- Top with pickled red onion.
- Serve the sandwich with a side of consome for dipping and enjoy!