Just as good on desserts as it is on ribs, our Apple Pie Cinnamon Spice rub adds buttery and warm pie spices to these Caramel Apple Shortcakes.
Caramel Apple Shortcakes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|1 T||Baking Powder|
|1/4 lb.||Butter, cold|
|3/4 cup||Half & Half|
|1/4 cup||Apple Pie Cinnamon Spice Rub|
|3 lbs.||Apples, peeled & sliced|
|1/3 cup||Apple Cider|
|3 T||Apple Pie Cinnamon Spice Rub|
|1 1/2 tsp||Tapioca Starch (or corn starch)|
|1 1/2 cups||Sugar, granulated|
|1/4 cup||Cream Cheese|
|1/4 cup||Apple Cider|
|Vanilla Ice Cream|
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in cold butter then fold in half & half. Let sit for 10 minutes, then divide mixture into 6 cakes and set on the prepared sheet tray. Brush with melted butter. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, rotating half way through baking.
- Prepare the filling: Combine the apple cider, Apple Pie Rub, sugar, butter, and tapioca in a saucepan over low heat. Simmer to dissolve sugar, then fold in apples. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes, until apples soften. Set aside.
- Prepare the caramel sauce: Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat/flame. Stir constantly and cook until sugar dissolves. Cook for another 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not stir. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in butter and cream cheese. Allow to cool slightly, then whisk in apple juice and milk.
- Assemble shortcakes: Cut shortcakes in half, horizontally. Divide filling among shortcakes, then top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Serve immediately with caramel sauce."