Country Smoked Summer Sausage
Suggested Ingredients - 25 Lb. Meat Batch
|15 Lbs.||90% Extra Lean Beef Trims|
|10 Lbs.||85% Lean Pork Trims|
|1 Package - B Unit||No. 500 Summer Sausage Seasoning|
|2-3 Cups||Distilled Water|
Instructions:1) Grind all meat through ⅜" plate or larger. Regrind through ⅛" plate.
2) Add cure to water; mix into meat.
3) Add seasoning into meat and mix for 4-6 minutes until meat is tacky.
40 Stuff into fibrous casings.
Smoking Instructions:1) Preheat Smoker to 100°F.
2) Place sausage on smoke sticks.
3) Insert temperature probe to center of one sausage.
4) Open dampers all the way. Run at 100°F for one hour.
5) After an hour, increase temperature to 110°F; add ⅔ pan moistened sawdust; smoke for 4 hours with top damper ⅛ open and bottom damper ¾ open.
6) Add another ⅔ pan of moistened sawdust, increase heat to 165°F. Heat until internal temperature reaches 148°F.
7) Turn OFF smoker; place sausage in cold water bath for 20 minutes; to cool sausage to 100°F. Then dry and place in cooler.