Jerky Making - The Whole Muscle Method
|1||Jerky Making Kit - Comes complete with pre-measured cure & seasoning packet|
|5 Lbs.||Lean Meat, Fat Trimmed|
|½ Cup||Cold Water|
*Note: Each jerky kit comes complete with 3 packages of seasoning and our Jerky Cure. Each package is measured for 5 lbs. of meat. Makes a total of 15 lbs. per package. For sanitary purposes, it's best to wear gloves when working with raw meats.
1) Slice meat with the grain about ¼" thick, then again lengthwise to make long strips, about 1" in width. Set aside.
2) In a glass measuring cup, pour the entire contents of cure packet into ½ Cup cold water and whisk to dissolve.
3) Pour the contents of seasoning into the measuring cup of water and cure; whisk until well blended.
4) Place meat strips in a large resealable plastic bag and pour in seasoning/cure mixture. Try to squeeze out as much excess air from the bag as possible before sealing. Shake or lightly squeeze bag to ensure the meat is evenly coated with with marinade. Refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
6) Lay meat strips out onto dehydrator or wire racks leaving ¼" of space between each strip. Ensure that none of the strips are overlapping. Once all racks are full, place in dehydrator, oven or smokehouse. Discard any left over marinade.
7) General drying time is around 4 to 6 hours, but can vary. We used a standard dehydrator for this demonstration, but drying times will vary based on the amount of jerky, relative humidity and moisture content of meat. Refer to the charts below for detailed drying instructions based on the type of equipment being used for drying:
|Step 1||Set oven temp to 180°F. Place loaded wire racks on cookie sheets, place in oven|
|Prop oven door open about 1" for the first hour to improve ventilation & reduce drying time.|
|Bake for 1 hour, then turn strips over. Turn every 30 minutes until done.|
|Step 1||Load full racks into dehydrator. Completely load unit before turning on.|
Dry the jerky at 160°F for 4 to 6 hours.
|Rotate racks throughout drying process and blot the surface of the jerky occasionally until dry.|
Preheat the smokehouse to 140°F before loading. Follow instructions below.
*NOTE: These instructions are meant as a general guideline. Refer to and follow instructions of your brand smoker.
|Stage 1||1 Hour||140°F||Smoke Off||Damper Closed|
|Stage 2||1 Hour||150°F||Smoke On||Damper Open|
|Stage 3||***||160°F||Smoke Off||Damper Open|
*** Until jerky shrinks 50% by weight or until done.
- Store jerky in dark, dry place (preferably between 50°F to 60°F. Jerky will retain color and flavor for months if stored properly.
- Avoid storing in plastic containers or bags.
- If condensation appears inside your storage container, jerky should be dried further.