If you're cooking a simple and small Thanksgiving dinner for a smaller crowd or just want to change things up from the classic roasted Turkey recipe, this stuffed Turkey Roulade is the perfect alternative to a whole turkey.
So what is a turkey roulade? A turkey roulade, or turkey roll, is a dish consisting of long, thin strips of turkey breast stuffed with a choice of ingredients.
In the case of this oven roasted turkey breast roll, PS Seasoning professional chefs have chosen a savory filling of cremini mushrooms, garlic onion and sherry for the stuffing, complemented by Italian herbs to flavor and moisturize the rolled turkey breast.
So, are you ready to give this turkey roulade recipe a whirl? Here's how to cook turkey roll.
Roasted Turkey Roulade
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
2 1/2 lbs.
|Turkey Breast, butterflied|
|3 T||Butter, divided|
|1 T||Olive Oil|
|1||Yellow Onion, chopped|
|1||Celery Rib, chopped|
|2||Garlic Cloves, minced|
|4 oz.||Cremini Mushrooms, chopped|
|2 oz.||Baby Spinach, chopped|
|1 T||Good Fella Italian Herb|
|2 T||Parsley, chopped|
|2 1/2 cups||Turkey or Chicken Stock, divided|
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook for 3 minutes, until the mushrooms are slightly browned. Deglaze with sherry, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in spinach, then season with Good Fella. Simmer for 2 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Fold the stuffing and fresh parsley into the vegetable mixture, then slowly pour over 1 cup of turkey stock, until stuffing is moistened.
- Time to butterfly the turkey breast. If you're not sure how to butterfly turkey breast for roulade, remember that you are looking for the thickest parts of the turkey and you want to slice it open while keeping about the same thickness as the other parts.
- For turkey roulade, the turkey breast should be about an inch thick. If the turkey breast is too thick, you should place it between two sheets of plastic roll and pounding it out.
- Place the turkey breast on a cutting board. Season with Good Fella, then spoon over ⅓ of the stuffing, leaving an inch border.
- Roll the turkey breast, then use kitchen twine to truss the turkey breast and secure the stuffing. Place in a cast iron skillet, top with remaining softened butter, and season with Good Fella. Place a sprig of rosemary on top, add remaining 1 ½ cups of stock around the turkey, along with 1 bay leaf. Transfer to the oven.
- Cook the turkey for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours, until an internal temperature of 165 F is reached.
Remove the stuffed turkey breast from the oven, rest for 15 minutes, then slice and serve warm, with remaining stuffing.