If you're carving pumpkins, put the seeds of your labor to good use. The trick to getting a perfectly crunchy pumpkin seed is to boil for 10 minutes in salted water, then toss in your favorite seasoning blend or BBQ rub (see our favorites below) and bake to golden perfection.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|Buried Treasure Truffle Butter|
|Black Gold Garlic Pepper|
|Apple Pie Cinnamon Spice|
|Jackpot Honey Mustard|
|Honky Tonk Nashville Hot|
- Set the pumpkin on a cutting board, over a damp cloth towel, to prevent slipping. Cut the pumpkin open by using a sharp knife to cut a circle around the stem end, then pulling off the top.
- Use a metal spoon to scrape the insides of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds and strings attached to them.
- Transfer the pumpkin seeds to a colander and rinse under cold water to separate the seeds from the strings.
- Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to a boil. Add a couple tablespoons of salt to the boiling water, then add the pumpkin seeds. Reduce to a hard simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and drain the seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F
- Drizzle olive oil over the bottom of the sheet tray, then add seeds in a single layer. Season with your favorite PS seasoning blend or rub: Black Gold, Buried Treasure, Apple Pie Rub, Honky Tonk Rub, or Jackpot Rub.
Roast the seeds on the top oven rack until the seeds begin to brown, anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the seeds. When lightly browned, remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a rack. Let the pumpkin seeds cool all the way down before eating.