Just when you thought fried mac and cheese couldn't get any better. These Bacon Macon & Cheese Bites are filled with our hearty bacon mac and cheese brats, beer, and cream cheese, then breaded and fried to crispy perfection.
Bacon Mac & Cheese Brat Bites
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|Bacon Mac & Cheese Brats, casing removed|
|Yellow Onion, minced|
|1/4 cup||Light Ale|
|3 T||Cream Cheese|
|2 1/2 T||Breadcrumbs|
|2 T||Light Ale|
|3/4 cup||Panko Breadcrumbs|
|1/4 cup||Fine Breadcrumbs|
|2 cups||Vegetable Oil|
- Heat a small skillet over low heat. Add brats and break up with a fork. Cook for 1 minute, then add onion and sauté with crumbled brat for another minute. Deglaze with beer, making sure to scrape up any brown bits. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese and breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Set up the breading station: Bowl 1 = flour, bowl 2 = whisk together egg and ale, bowl 3 = combined breadcrumbs.
- Remove filling from the refrigerator. Divide into 8 golf-sized balls, then dip one by one in flour, egg wash, and breadcrumbs. Set on a sheet tray, while breading the remaining bites.
- Heat vegetable oil to 350 F in a deep saucepan or pot. Fry 4 brat bites 30 to 45 seconds per side, until golden. Transfer to a wire rack over a sheet tray to cool, then fry the remaining 4 bites.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.