Even if you're not an herbivore, you'll love these marinated portobello mushrooms. Hearty mushroom caps are marinated in our smoky peppercorn sauce then grilled and topped with sweet and savory squash and root veggies.
Marinated Portobello Mushroom Stack
Prep time: 4 hours
Cook time: 15 minutes
|4||Portobello Mushroom Caps|
|1 cup||Smokin' Steer Hickory Peppercorn|
|1/4 cup + 1 T||Olive Oil, divided|
|3||Garlic Cloves, minced|
|3||Sage Leaves, chopped|
|1 tsp||Thyme Leaves|
|1/3 cup||Vegetable Stock|
|1 cup||Parsnip, diced|
|1 cup||Butternut Squash, diced|
|1/2||Fennel Bulb, julienned|
|2 cups||Spinach, chopped|
Salt & Pepper
- Wipe mushroom caps clean with a damp towel. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together Smokin’ Steer and ¼ cup of olive oil. Add mushroom caps, then cover and refrigerate in the marinade for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Melt butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add leek and sauté for 2 minutes to soften, then add in garlic, thyme, and sage. Sauté until fragrant, then deglaze with sherry and vegetable stock. Add the parsnip and cook for 3 minutes, then add the squash and fennel. Cook for 5 more minutes, until softened, then stir in chopped spinach. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the grill, or a cast-iron grill pan to medium.
- Remove mushroom caps from the marinade, then grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the mushroom cap.
- Remove the mushrooms from the grill/pan and divide the vegetable filling among the caps. Top with shaved parmesan, then serve warm.