An authentic Cubano starts with a delicious mojo marinade made from fresh citrus juices. That's where our Fresh Squeezed Citrus Cracked Pepper sauce steps in to add bright, citrusy flavors without the actual squeezing. After a long soak, the pork shoulder is smoked low and slow then shredded and stacked up with extra sliced ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and a tangy mustard sauce.
Cuban Pork Sandwiches
Prep time: 8-12 hours
Cook time: 6 hours
|Pork Shoulder, bone-in|
|Fresh Squeezed Citrus Pepper, divided|
|2 cups||Chicken Stock|
|1||Yellow Onion, sliced thinly|
|1 lb.||Ham, sliced thinly|
|8 oz.||Swiss Cheese, sliced thinly|
|1/2 cup||Dijon Mustard|
|8||Dill Pickles, thinly sliced|
|8||Ciabiatta or Torta Rolls, toasted|
- Place pork shoulder in a large resealable plastic bag (2 gallon). Pour 8 oz. of Fresh Squeezed over the pork. Seal bag, then refrigerate overnight.
- One hour prior to grilling, remove pork from the refrigerator and sit out at room temperature.
Preheat the grill to 250° F.
- Transfer pork to the grill grate, and set the bag with marinade aside. Smoke pork for 1 hour, then flip pork and smoke for an additional hour.
- Place 4 ounces of Fresh Squeezed, chicken stock, water, onion, and reserved marinade from the bag in a deep cast iron skillet, or metal grill pan. Transfer the pork to the skillet, then cover with a shallow cast iron skillet, or aluminum foil. Braise for 2 hours, then increase grill temperature to 325 F, and braise for 1 ½ more hours.
- Remove the cover then pull pork with tongs while still on the grill. Be sure and toss the pork in the seasoned stock. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- Combine mustard and mayonnaise, then spread onto both sides of rolls. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Heat pork and ham, then layer pork, ham, cheese, pork, ham, cheese and top with sliced pickles. Cover skillet to melt cheese, then transfer to roll. Place the sandwich on the skillet and press down with the bottom of a metal spatula. Carefully flip, and press down again.
- Remove sandwich from the skillet, slice in half, and serve warm.