Suggested Curing Ingredients:
|5 Gallons||Cold Water (38-40°F)|
|5 Lbs.||Maple Cure|
|Whole||Chicken, Turkey, Duck or Other Bird|
Instructions:1) Dissolve Cure in water and mix thoroughly.
2) Inject product with hand brine pump or electric pump at 10% of weight of bird.
3) Place in S/S or plastic lugs and submerge in the same pickle solution with a cover.
4) Remove after 4-5 hours and wash "with COLD water" and dry for 2 hours.
Smoking Procedure:1) Preheat smoker to 110°F; open damper ¾.
2) Hang product in stockinettes (no parts touching).
3) Insert temperature probe into ball socket joint, but not touching bone.
4) Run at this temperature for 1 hour.
5) After an hour, increase thermostat to 125°F; place ⅓ pan sawdust (moistened) on burner.
6) After 4 hours place another ⅓ pan of moistened sawdust on burner. Increase temperature to 140 degrees F. Close dampers.
7) After 4 hours remove sawdust pan; increase temperature to 185 degrees F. Heat at this temperature until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
8) Turn OFF thermostat and let cool to 100°F.
Note: In the absence of an injector a cover pickling method may be used as follows:
|3-5 lb.||36 hours|
|6-8 lb.||40 hours|
|9-11 lb.||50 hours|
|13-14 lb.||60 hours|
|15 lb.||70 hours|
Note: For best results poultry 6 lbs. and up should be pumped and then submerged from 5 - 10 hours.