Are oats the ultimate super food?!?
A super food has got to deliver much more than nutrients. Oats are inexpensive, taste good, versatile and are not so perishable, where you are throwing them away after a week or two.
Oats check all of the boxes and even though they are grown in the fall they are available year round. They get their flavor from the roasting process they go though after being harvested and cleaned.
The best part, this process doesn't strip away bran and germ which allows oats to maintain their nutrient and fiber.
Health benefits you say?
- Oats lower cholesterol levels
- Unique oat antioxidants reduce risk of cardiovascular disease
- Whole grain breakfasts prevent heart failure
- They may offer significant benefits in cardiovascular issues in postmenopausal women
- Oats may enhance immune response to infection
- Grains lower the risk of Type 2 diabetes
- Fiber from whole grains such as oats lower the risk of breast cancer
- Highly protective against childhood asthma
- It is a good alternative for wheat for Celiac disease
The ancestry of the modern oats comes from the wild red oat originating in Asia. Oats have been around for over two thousand years and continue to grow throughout various regions around the world. Originating for medical purposes (which are still used for), the growing oats population continue to be a commercial crop as a dietary importance.